As an accreditation organization, IAC Nuclear/PET is committed to maintaining a program that balances the changing needs of both the nuclear cardiology, nuclear medicine and PET community and the general public by influencing the quality of patient care provided. The IAC Standards and Guidelines for Nuclear/PET Accreditation are the most important component of that commitment. Composed by physicians and technologists from the IAC sponsoring organizations, the Standards are reviewed periodically by the Board of Directors and revised as needed.
As a component of the accreditation process, the IAC Nuclear/PET Board of Directors preliminarily approved the proposed Standards which were recently posted to the IAC website for a 60-day public comment period.
View / Download the Standards»
Key Revisions to the IAC Standards for Nuclear/PET
Some of the changes made are a clarification or explanation of the previous Standards, however, in several instances, the requirements have been modified. Key modifications include:
- Direct Patient Care Personnel Qualifications (Applicable Standards 18.104.22.168A, 1.5.3A, 1.5.4A)
- Image Interpretation and Reporting (Applicable Standards 22.214.171.124A, 126.96.36.199A, 188.8.131.52A, 184.108.40.206A)
- Instrumentation (Applicable Standard 220.127.116.11B)
- Equipment Quality Control Protocols (Applicable Standards 18.104.22.168B, 22.214.171.124B)
- Non-Imaging Equipment Quality Control Protocols (Applicable Standard 1.4.6B)
- General Protocol Guidelines (Applicable Standard 126.96.36.199B)
- Clinical Procedure Protocols (Applicable Standard 188.8.131.52B)
- Therapy Reporting Protocols (Applicable Standards 1.1.8D, 1.1.11D, 1.1.12D)
- Therapy Clinical Protocols (Applicable Standard 1.2.8D)
- Therapy Performance (Applicable Standards 1.3D, 1.3.5D)
Standards that are highlighted are content changes that were made as part of the August 1, 2021 revision. These Standards become effective February 1, 2022. Facilities applying for accreditation after February 1, 2022 must comply with these new highlighted Standards.