An additional or replacement MRI unit may be added to a facility’s current accreditation at any time during the three-year accreditation cycle. Accreditation is granted only for the specific testing areas for which a facility has applied and submitted an application. Though facilities may be performing other testing in the facility, those areas are not covered under the accreditation until an application for the specific testing type is submitted and granted accreditation.
It is important to note that any equipment added during this three-year cycle will expire on the original expiration date of the previously accredited unit. For example, if the original application was submitted January 1, 2010 it will expire on January 31, 2013. If the facility submits an application for an additional testing area on January 1, 2011 it too will expire on January 31, 2013.
If an accredited facility wishes to add or replace an MRI unit to their current accreditation, the add on or replacement forms must be completed and submitted with the required case studies and other documentation. As well, the facility will be required to pay the fees associated with adding or replacing an MRI unit.
What to Submit
The information and documentation needed to add or replace your MRI unit is outlined below.
- A formal letter of notification from the Medical or Technical Director that the facility has changed the address and has replaced the MRI system along with the IAC Change in Operations Affidavit»
- Make, model, serial number and installation date
- Documentation of acceptance testing QC tests performed, prior to clinical use with the corresponding phantom images submitted on CD/DVD.
- Most recent preventative maintenance (PM) report.
- Daily quality control testing performed since unit installed (no more than 5 days) with the correlating phantom images submitted on CD/DVD.
- 1 case study with the final report (representative of the testing area) with the MRI Scan Parameter Form. All case studies must be selected from within the 12 months immediately prior to submission of the additional/replacement unit application.
- Submit the MRI Replacement or Adding a Unit Form»
- $800 replacement magnet fee
Need help adding or replacing a unit? Contact the staff for assistance by phone at 800-838-2110 or by e-mail using the online staff directory.